Talks & Presentations Given
- Panelist, What Pope Francis Really Said, hosted by the Benedictine College Gregorian Institute (Atchison, KS, 2016).
- “Amoris Laetitia: Pope Francis on Sacramental Discipline for the Divorced and Civilly Remarried.” Lecture delivered to students of the Benedictine College campus honors program (Atchison, KS, 2016).
- “The Theology of Pope Francis.” Lecture delivered to the Women of St. Ignatius organization (Fort Leavenworth, KS, 2016).
- “Pope Francis: Mercy and Media Misconception.” Talk given at the inaugural Theology on Tap in Atchison, KS (2016)
- “Who do you say that I am? How the true face of Christ i
s revealed to us in the Gospels” and “Lord, to whom shall we go? How to respond to today’s Bible skeptics.” Presentations delivered over three days for the Sophia Institute for Teachers (Staten Island, NY, 2016).
- “Biblical Mercy: How Mercy is Revealed in Sacred Scripture” and “Divine Mercy and the Pontificate of Francis.” Sophia Institute for Teachers workshop (Palm Beach, FL, 2016)
- “Biblical Mercy: How Mercy is Revealed in Sacred Scripture” and “Divine Mercy and the Pontificate of Francis.” Sophia Institute for Teachers workshop (Grand Rapids, MI, 2016)
- “The Theological Mind of Pope Francis: Mercy and Media Misconception.” Paper delivered at the Institute for Missionary Activity symposium Mercy and the Revolution: The Church’s Mission after the Sexual Revolution (Atchison, KS, 2016).
- “Popes on a Plane: Media Misconception and Papal Continuity.” Lecture delivered for the Dinner and Discourse series hosted by the St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas (Lawrence, KS, 2016).
- “The Church, World Religions, and Interreligious Dialogue.” Lecture delivered to the Women of St. Ignatius organization (Fort Leavenworth, KS, 2016).
- Panelist, Laudato Si: What the Pope’s Encyclical Means for America hosted by the Benedictine College Gregorian Institute (2015).
- “The Theological Genius of Joseph Ratzinger and Its Role in Catholic Theological Education Today.” Keynote paper to be delivered for the faculty-student Fall conference at Holy Spirit College (Atlanta, GA, 2015)
- “The Year of Mercy: Salvation History as the context for encountering and understanding God’s Mercy.” Sophia Institute for Teachers workshop (Manchester, NH, 2015)
- “Pope Francis and the Mission of the Church.” Paper delivered at the Institute for Missionary Activity symposium Influential Joy: Gaudium et Spes to Evangelii Gaudium. (2015).
- “Biblical Inspiration in the Theology of St. Thomas Aquinas and Fr. Matthew Lamb.” Paper delivered at the Aquinas Center for Theological Renewal Wisdom and the Renewal of Catholic Theology conference (2015)
- “Vatican II at 50: Pluralism and Unity.” Paper co-presented at Benedictine College faculty
- “Soul of the Apostolate: The Interior Life, Catechesis, and the New Evangelization” Morning sessions for the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd regional Lenten enrichment retreat (Leawood, KS, 2015).
- “That They All May Be One: John XXIII and John Paul II’s Pioneering Vision for the Reunification of All Christians.” Delivered to the Benedictine College community commemorating the canonization of Popes John XXIII and John Paul II (2014).
“Benedict XVI, Catholic Doctrine, and the Problem of an Imminent Parousia.” Paper delivered at the annual convention of the Fellowship of Catholic Scholars (2014).
“Aquinas’s De Regno and Christian Leadership.” Co-led seminar offered for the Benedictine College Gregorian Fellows program (2014).
“The Direction of the Church Today: Highlights of the Pontificate of Pope Francis and Its Continuity with the Legacy of Pope Benedict XVI.” Morning workshop given for Catholic school principals of the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas (2014).
- “Benedict XVI’s Theology of Beauty & the New Evangelization.” Institute for Missionary Activity symposium “The Transcendentals as a Preamble for Faith” (2014).
- “Reflections on Pope Francis’ Evangelii Gaudium: Implications for Catechesis.” Lecture delivered to the catechists of St. Benedict’s Parish in Atchison, KS (2014).
- “Benedict XVI and the Bible’s Dark Passages: Implications for Apologetics and the Spiritual Life.” Lecture delivered to faculty and adjuncts of the Bishop Helmsing Institute (2013)
- “Freedom in Obedience to the Truth: Implications for Christian Living & Evangelization.” Institute for Missionary Activity symposium “Building a Culture of Freedom” (2013).
- “Violence Is Incompatible with the Nature of God: Benedict, Aquinas, and Method C Exegesis of the ‘Dark Passages’ of the Bible.” Ave Maria University conference ” Reading God’s Word: Ratzinger’s Erasmus Lecture a Generation Later.” (2012).
- “Benedict XVI’s Vision for Scripture within the New Evangelization,” Institute for Missionary Activity symposium on Advancing the New Evangelization (2012).
- “Catholicism, Inter-Religious Dialogue, and Social Justice.” Presentation delivered at the Muslim-Jewish-Christian Dialogue hosted at Benedictine College (2012).
- “The Catholic Church and Inter-Religious Dialogue.” Presentation delivered at the Hindu-Muslim-Christian Dialogue hosted at Benedictine College (2011).
- “Evangelization and the Interior Life.” Presented to student leaders of FOCUS at their monthly Upper Room meeting (2011).
- “The Catholic Tradition of Prayer.” Presented to members of RICA at Benedictine College (2011)
- “Mental Prayer,” “Obstacles to Prayer,” “Inspirations of the Holy Spirit,” “Discernment of Spirits,” and “The Soul of the Apostolate.” Ongoing talks presented to Benedictine College students at the monthly Lectio Divina series (2010-present).
- “Do Something Beautiful for God.” An overview of the life of prayer presented to students participating in the annual Benedictine College Kick-Off Retreat (September 2010).
- “Newman’s Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine.” Presented at Presidential Ambassadors â€œGreat Booksâ€ event (2009)
- “The Sacrament of Marriage.” Presented to members of RICA at St. Matthew’s Parish, Champaign, IL (2009)
- “The Substance of Faith in Hebrews 11 and St. Thomas’ Theology of the History of Divine Revelation.” Paper presented at Aquinas Center for Theological Renewal “Scripture, Doctrine, and St. Thomas Aquinas” conference (2008).
- “Is Theology a Science?” Lecture given at the St. John Institute for Catholic Thought at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2008).
- “How a Poor Man Becomes Rich: The Six Steps towards Vision of God in Bonaventure’s Itinerarium Mentis in Deum.” Prepared for Ave Maria University faculty and graduate student colloquium (2008).
- “Two Willing Contenders in the Long Defeat: Friedrich Nietzsche and Immanuel Kant on the Philosophy of History.” Presented at Ave Maria University faculty and doctoral colloquium (2007).
- “Approaching Natural Theology.” Presented at Ave Maria University Faith in Action catechist team (2006).
- Diocese of Peoria Catholic Education Conference. A two-day conference hosted at Illinois State University for which I presented four talks on Scripture and ethics. (Normal, IL, 2006).
- “The Art of Friendship.” Talk given at a conference for the Fellowship of Catholic University Students at Illinois Wesleyan University and Illinois State University (2006).
- “And the Ark Came to Rest on the Rock: The Catholic Sacramental Worldview.” Ecumenical talk given at the Evangelical fellowship Campus Crusade for Christ at Eureka College (2006).
- “The Perfect Disciple.” Scriptural meditation given for â€œSamuel Groupâ€ at Benedictine College and at the University of Kansas (2005).
- “The Risen Body of Christ.” Given for a parish retreat (Sabetha, KS, 2005).
- “The Existence of God: Philosophical and Existential Approaches.” Conferences given for weekend â€œCrash Course on Catholic Educationâ€ at the St. Lawrence Catholic Ctr. (2005).
- “The Second Vatican Council on Ecumenism, Ecclesia de Eucharistia, and Evangelization.” Celebrate the Faith Conference (Vandalia, IL, 2004).
- “The Ascension of the Lord, the Eucharist, and the Telos of the Incarnation.” Holy Cross Church (Champaign, IL 2004).
- “The Problem of Evil and Religious Pluralism.” Guest lecturer, Introduction to Philosophy (Parkland College, Champaign, IL, 2003).
- “Conversion in the Writings of John Paul II.” Firewalk of Faith Conference (Napa, CA, Nov. 2003; Vandalia, IL, 2003).
- “Il sacramento della riconciliazione.” [The sacrament of reconciliation]. Scripture meditation given for a parish mission (Modica, Italy, 2003).
- “La chiamata universale alla santita.” [The universal call to holiness]. Talk given for a youth conference at the Centro San Lorenzo (Rome, Italy, 2002).